DO YOU HAVE THE CYPRIOT ORIGIN BUT NOT THE PASSPORT? TIME TO RECONCILE!
Having in mind that due to Brexit, as a British national you are now considered a non-EU national and all the rights that you have been enjoying when traveling in EU member states as well as the right to live and work in all Member states, are not available to you except in accordance with the strict provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement; taking the opportunity to obtain a Cypriot passport through your origin sounds like the way forward.
Acquiring a Cypriot Passport via your origin not only allows you to further enjoy these fundamental rights, but also allows you to keep your British citizenship since the Republic of Cyprus allows dual citizenship.
The first stage of the procedure is to simply categorize yourself depending on your circumstances:
- Born prior to the 16th of August 1960 and be a citizen of the United Kingdom or any of its former colonies and originate from Cyprus by your father’s side and reside permanently abroad. (M71)
- Born prior to the 16th of August 1960 and you are not a citizen of the United Kingdom or any of its former colonies and originate from Cyprus by your father’s side. (M72)
- Born prior to the 16th of August 1960 and be a citizen of the United Kingdom or any State of the Commonwealth and have completed one year of legal residence in the Republic of Cyprus. (M124)
- Born after the 16th of August 1960 and originate from a person who became a British citizen based on the Annexation of Cyprus Orders in Council 1914 to 1943 or a person born in Cyprus after the 5th of November 1914 and prior to the 16th of August 1960. (M123)
- Born abroad (adult or minor) after the 16th of August 1960 and your father at the time of birth was a Cypriot citizen or born after the 11th of June 1999 and your mother at the time of birth was a Cypriot citizen. (M121)
- Be a minor and your mother was a Cypriot citizen at the time of your birth and your father was a foreigner or a minor whose father or mother acquired the Cypriot citizenship after your birth by naturalization or registration. (M126)
WHAT DOCUMENTS DO YOU NEED TO PREPARE?
Depending on the category you belong to, different documents must be submitted, however, the ones most often requested are the following:
- Original Birth Certificate duly legalized and translated (for documents which are not originally issued in wither Greek or English)
- Photocopy of your passport
- Photocopy of your parent’s Cypriot passport
- Original Certificate of naturalization or registration of your parent
- Two passport size photographs
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Here at Andreas Demetriades&Co LLC, we are qualified Cypriot Lawyers with in depth knowledge of the law and the procedures pertaining to the Cyprus Immigration Laws. Having our
Base in Cyprus allows us to speedily solve problems so as to avoid unnecessary
delays. The Firm’s wealth of experience, knowledge and resources, offers
clients the best possible legal support.
We can provide step by step guidance through the whole process of submitting your application for Naturalisation. The content of this article is intended to provide a general guide to the subject matter and does not constitute legal advice. For any further information, please contact Pinelopi Charalampous, Lawyer of Andreas Demetriades&Co LLC by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at +357 26811668.